I want to inform you personally that I will be leaving Hawaii School for the Deaf and the Blind (HSDB) at the end of this school year, 2015 – 16. As an educator, I understand the need to continue the pursuit of academic achievement in the classroom, as well as with our children’s overall well-being. I am committed to continuing to support HSDB in this goal. With that said, we are currently in the process of searching for a new principal for HSDB who is dedicated to serving our students, family, and community as the new school year opens this fall.
I look forward to this new phase in my life, but am most grateful for the many friends and families I have met during the last five years as principal at HSDB. I thank you for the opportunity to work with you and your child, knowing that the foundation that is laid will help your son or daughter to grow into successful, productive and contributing adults in our ever-changing society.
I have several months left in my tenure as HSDB principal and will continue to do all that I can to assist your child in his or her education while I am still here. Here are some highlights at HSDB:
- May Day Program, Friday, May 6th, 9:00 am to 12:00 noon - May Day program in center lawn. Pre-order for lunch required. Contact school office at 733-4999 for details
- Standards Based Assessment, Week of May 9 - 13th - All students in grades 3 through 8th and 11th will take the State of Hawaii Standards Based Assessment or SBA in reading and math.
- Senior Activity, Thursday, May 12th - HSDB senior students to visit Kualoa Ranch
- Graduation, Wednesday, May 25th, 5:30 pm to 7:30 pm - Graduation will commence promptly at 5:30 pm in the center lawn; Last official day for graduating students.
- Last Day for Students, Thursday, May 26th - Last official day for all students
- Last Day for Teachers, Friday, May 27th - Last official day for Teachers and other 10 month staff members.
Mahalo, Christina Juan