In this month’s Principal’s Message, I want to share upcoming events and information with you all:
· Fall Break: October 5 – 9, 2015; Teacher Institute: October 12, 2015 ** No school for students
· Parent/Teacher/Student Conferences: We invite all parents and guardians to once again join us for this semester’s Parent/Teacher/Student Conferences held on the week of October 26 – 30, 2015. This is an opportunity for you to meet with your child’s teacher(s) and to learn more about the learning that is taking place at HSDB.
· SCC Meetings: The next School Community Council (or SCC) meeting will be held on Tuesday, September 29, 2015 at the library from 4:00 pm – 5:00 pm. During our meeting, we will discuss school initiatives, state and school assessment results, and the development of HSDB’s Academic Plan.
· SBA Family Report: In just a few weeks you will be receiving the Smarter Balanced Assessment (SBA) family report for your child. The SBA is the statewide assessment that now replaces the Hawaii State Assessment (HSA) previously taken by students in grades 3 – 8 and 11. Please take the time to review the information. There will be an upcoming parent night scheduled in second quarter where administrators will review HSDB’s assessment and school wide data. Stay tuned . . .
· Title One Federal Funds: Title One federal funds are provided to assist eligible schools that meet certain criteria (e.g., free/reduced meal count). As a Title One school, we want ensure that each student is receiving the academic assistance he or she needs. This year, we happy to share that The Learning Center (otherwise known as Boston University) and Catapult Learning will continue to partner with HSDB teachers and administrators to deepen the level of understanding in research-based, highly effective instructional and reflective practices involving data.
· Open Door Policy: If you have questions or concerns regarding your child, please do not hesitate to contact our office at 733-4999 to schedule a meeting with either Vice Principal Julie Ledgerwood or myself. We look forward to assisting you.
· SATC In-Service Training for All HSDB Staff: On September 4, 2015, all HSDB staff members received in-service training from the Sex Abuse Treatment Center (SATC) on sexual abuse, harassment, and misconduct. And although the information presented was considered to be highly sensitive in nature, the training was essential to ensure that we, at HSDB, are vigilant of our students’ well being at all times.